In 1 hour: How to Build a Content, Community & Membership App (no-code hackathon)
Note: This article is part of my toolkit newsletters↗️ where I share resources about building things. Join me :)
👋 I’m Zoe Chew, a product builder in tech. I’ve built & launched multiple products & apps using the rapid MVP method: sneaker app, personal FAQ, meal kit app, virtual event app, SaaS tracker, online food delivery +more
Last week, I met one of my readers through an On Deck program who has been reading Build & Launch for over the past year! Appreciation shoutout to Chuck Marvin — thank you again for your thoughtful comment and feedback on that day!
What I’m working on:
- 🌎 Committing my time to ODF10, a 10-week fellowship program that brings together exceptional founders, builders & operators to start their next ventures. Making sure I am awake from 12 am to 4 am (Asia time) for all the program sessions in Pacific Time.
- 🚀 Launched a new site for Build & Launch’s landing page. p/s: I love Webflow!
- 🧪 My own product studio: creating, prototyping startup experiments internally. If you’re interested in the venture/studio model, read this article
- 🎥 Video recording for online course materials.
- 📚 Reading book #12 — The Art Of Living by Thich Nhat Hanh
- ⏰ Biohacking through nutrition, Circadian Rhythm & energy management.
🤩 Let’s build things
Want to start a side hustle and monetize an online business idea?
In this 1 hour 18 min step-by-step video hackathon, you will learn:
- Create a Content, Community + Membership app with multi-users functionality
- Turn your content into “sellable” offerings on an app (i.e. blogs, videos, workshops, recordings, events access, newsletters)
- Build a fully functional app, without code
- Using Product Thinking Framework to build an app from start to finish
Test & preview the app:
🚀 Why Video Hackathon?
- Hack an app (nocode) at your own pace, don’t need to worry about teaming up with technical folks to start building something
- Step-by-step video lecture & instruction, you won’t feel lost
- Equip valuable skills to turn an idea into a monetizable app
- You don’t need to quit your day job to start a side hustle
- No hackathon prize, but you WIN when you execute an idea rather than thinking about it
🎥 Video intro & timestamp:
- 0:00 — Introduction
- 03:09 — Product Thinking Framework
- 04:07 — Map Out the User Flows
- 06:01 — Setting Up App Database
- 12:26 — Create the Video Course Playlist
- 14:15 — Design the App Layout for Video Playlist
- 15:47 — Categorize Video Playlists Based on Topic
- 19:21 — Users’ Rating & Database
- 21:39 — Bookmark Content to a User’s Account
- 22:48 — Create “Complete” Indicator on Watched Content
- 26:04 — Display Progress Bar & Visualize Course Progress
- 32:55 — User’s Account & Profile Page
- 36:18 — Event Page & Premium Members Area
- 45:27 — Community Feature: Post a Discussion
- 48:22 — Community Feature: Comments Section
- 52:13 — Newsletter Content & Bookmark Articles
- 01:01:04 — Sell Content Membership on The App with Stripe
- 01:08:22 — Adding “Home” Screen for Featured Content
- 01:17:05 — Publish the App!
- 01:18:04 — Test Drive the App on Mobile Device
- 01:18:27 — THE END